Veteran and Military Service Member Medical Records Now Available in etHIN
etHIN’s connection to the Joint Health Information Exchange provides access to veteran and military service member medical records
A new connection between etHIN and the VA/DOD Joint Health Information Exchange (JHIE) through the eHealth Exchange offers numerous benefits to etHIN participants. The JHIE facilitates the sharing of health information between the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Department of Defense (DOD), and etHIN’s connection to the JHIE allows access to military medical record information through the eHIP Clinical Viewer. Benefits for etHIN participants and their military patients include:
- Access to Military Health Data: etHIN participants can access health information of military service members and veterans who receive care through the VA or DOD systems. This data, plus local provider data in etHIN, can provide a more comprehensive view of a patient’s medical history which includes their military service-related health conditions and treatments.
- Improved Patient Care: Providers can access medical records, medication histories, lab results, and other critical information from the JHIE in etHIN’s Clinical Viewer to provide better treatment and avoid duplication of tests or procedures.
- Reduced Administrative Burden: Providers can spend less time on paperwork and data retrieval with access to records from the JHIE, allowing them to spend more time with their military patients with additional focus on patient care.
- Enhanced Care Coordination: Care coordination among various healthcare providers becomes more effective with a broader view of the patient’s health history. This can lead to improved care transitions, reducing errors and improving outcomes.
- Cost Savings: etHIN’s connection to the VA/DOD Joint Health Information Exchange can lead to cost savings for participants. Avoiding redundant tests and procedures along with access to information needed for insurance filing and billing can result in financial benefits.
- Improved Patient Engagement: Provider access to medical records from the JHIE in etHIN reduces or eliminates the need for patients to send medical records by mail or to bring paper records to appointments, reducing the burden on both patients and providers.
- Emergency Response: In emergency situations, quick access to a patient’s complete medical history, including relevant military service-related data, can be critical in providing timely and appropriate care.
Access to medical information available in the JHIE through etHIN can significantly enhance the quality of care, patient outcomes, and the efficiency of healthcare delivery by better understanding veteran and military service member health history. This understanding can help providers develop safer and more effective treatment plans as well as work with other members of the patient’s care team to improve overall health and wellbeing.
Search News Article
- Veteran and Military Service Member Medical Records Now Available in etHIN
- Consequences for Information Blocking: New Proposals to Establish Disincentives for Health Care Providers
- etHIN’s Perspective on Patient Opt Outs, Requests for Data, and Changes to Medical Records
- How An HIE Approaches Continuous Patient Data Quality Improvement
- Tennessee Department of Health Updates the List of Reportable Diagnosis Codes for Drug Overdose Reporting